Mood Swings

Monday, September 25, 2006

Note on Orkut

For people like me till few months back it was (may be still is) just an online community thing/site which come and go wherein you get an invite, you register out of courtesy sake, check for few days and after few months don’t even remember the login Id and password for the same. People used to ask me “Are you on Orkut?” and my usual reply was “Nah re”. However 2 months back I finally got an invite (after asking my friend for the same) and registered. Now I have my few colleagues/ex-colleagues/friends/cousins on the same though my usual communication happens on phone, chat & mails only however I must admit, it was real fun the initial few weeks, searching old friends, looking for communities, reading profiles (some really weird), also sometimes sneaking in the scrapbooks of strangers and what not. Now though that initial charm is fading, I must admit, it gave me a chance to come across people (without there knowing them) and know them to a certain extent. I wonder the kind of communication they put on public display, why they don’t prefer to put those words in mails or chat! Anyways, me nobody to comment on that, just that I came across some interesting findings.

1. Orkut clearly seems to satisfy in fact prove the theory of “Six Degree of Separation”.
2. Altogether new lingo on Orkut which is its very own vocabulary created by “Orkutians” like “Orkutmania”, “Orkuticide”.
3. Though users on Orkut are of every age but majority of Orkutmaniacs belong to 18-25 age group and I must admit after reading there scrapbooks (with due apologies) they are way ahead and they make good use of these sites for expanding their contacts, careers, friends and also making good use of official time in doing unofficial job.
4. Google just seem to come up undisputedly with the best of everything (my personal opinion and should be rewarded for promoting) be it search engine, gmail, gtalk, orkut or picasa.

Seeing the growth and acceptance rate of Orkut (among youngsters), I wonder if the Orkut lingo is getting added to the Dictionary in the coming years ;-)

4 Comments:

  • At 2:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am not a regular user of orkut as i have my set of apprehensions about leaving my profile open for view by every Tom, Dick and Harry.

    May be beneficial for many but it has its own set of disadvantages as well.

    Taking a very bitchy view of the observations made by Ritu I would say that the popularity of a site like orkut denotes the following to a certain degree:

    1) The extent of lonliness that individuals feel when they are alone. They always wish to be surrounded by lots and lots of people. We have certainly lost the art of enjoying our solitude.
    2) It just might act as a point of generating quite a bit of peer pressure. And the negative effects of peer pressure is something that is much talked about and therefore i dont feel the need to talk about it here.
    3) Quoting Ritu... "making good use of official time in doing unofficial job".... well most of us dont want to be compared to the hated goverment employees and their attitude towards their job... but is'nt the new generation (read the Orkutians) guilty of propogating the same kind of attitude too although in a polished manner... instead of making use of your tongue which god has gifted us for free they make use of trendy, costly devices like laptops, pdas and world class technologies to do exactly the same things that a govt employee does during his working hours.. and that is to gossip, build peer pressure, indulge in their brand of politics and what have you... ;-P

     
  • At 2:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well... orkut is great place to be in. It lets you meet a lot of people with a lot of interesting views who belong to differnet cultures and having varied experience. It is a short life that we have and cannot experience everything on our own so it is really a great way to enrich your experiences in life and gain wisdom, guidance from mates in orkut.

    Also, it is sometimes easier to talk to strangers than your known people... they are more sympathetic and have the capacity to understand and give very sound advice.

    Also, it is a great place to spend your free time in without harming you job.... u just need to be intelligent and organised enough about not allowing it to harm your job....

    So keep going to orkut and make friends.....

     
  • At 11:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    For people like me Orkut is the best way to be in touch with my friends. "I met one of my college friend on orkut after 5-6 years". This is what I can comment on as I use the site to be in touch with my ex colleagues and friends.

     
  • At 9:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    now orkut is dead :-(

     

Post a Comment

<< Home